Dear Foreign Farmers!
For those of you who missed our previous meeting, meeting notes are available below.
Thanks to our presenters:
- Senator Norman Grant from the Jamaica Agricultural Society (http://jas.gov.jm/)
- Nicola Shirley Phillips from Source Farms (http://thesourcefarm.com/) and
- Neil from Farm Up Jamaica (http://farmupjamaica.org/)
Our 2016 projects are moving along! To summarize, here is a list of our current projects and activities:
- We are partnering with JAS to introduce the first Champion Organic Farmer competition at Denbigh this year
- We will be holding workshops on Organic and Sustainable Farming practices for farmers at the Denbigh Symposium in July
- We are soliciting companies for in-kind sponsorship of tools for a Farm Tools Kit for Farmers adopting Organic farming practices
- We are in the middle of fundraising to support our Onions and Organic training and certification projects
If you are interested in joining the planning team working on all these activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org. We need help with Logistics, Finding Sponsors, Media and PR, volunteers on the ground etc. The core team meets weekly via conference call on Friday at 5 PM EST.
First Champion Organize Farmer Prize sponsored by the Agriculture Task Force (July)
• We will be sponsoring the first ever Organic Farmer prize at Denbigh this year.
• The target is to complete competition criteria by the end of February, in time for the Parish level competitions.
Denbigh Symposium Workshops (July)
We will be hosting workshops at the Symposium at Denbigh this year promoting and educating Farmers on Organic and Sustainable Farming practices.
We are targeting a a group of back to back workshops for the second and or third day between 11 and 3 pm. We will also work on PR, Media etc to promote the event and offer giveaways and food to attract participation.
Workshops and Presenters
• Why Organic/Sustainable Practices & the Market Opportunities Available – Farm Up
• How do you setup your farm to take advantage of the opportunities available with Sustainable practices and Organic farming – SOURCE
• Crop Planning including Assessing Mixed Cropping systems
• Soil and Cover Crops, Beneficial Bugs, Inter-cropping
• How to prepare Healthy Food – JOAM
• *Potential topics/sessions around Climate Smart Agriculture and how to sell to Hotels/Super Markets
Supplies for Farm Tools Kit and Giveaways at the Symposium
• We will craft a letter for in-kind sponsorship from Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Costco etc.
JAS Summit in partnership with the Agriculture Task Force (April-pending, more details to come)
The theme of the Summit is Climate Smart Agriculture, we will be adding sessions on Organic Farming and Sustainable Agriculture Practices to the agenda. The summit is planned for April, date TBD.
If you are interested in joining any of these projects email email@example.com or contact Kimone Gooden, firstname.lastname@example.org. The core team meets weekly via conference call on Friday at 5 PM EST.
Powered by Facebook Comments